SECTION 1: IDENTIFICATION OF SUBSTANCE AND SUPPLIER
Product Identification: Foundations® Matte Glazes
Product Usage: Glazing of ceramic ware
Product Identifier Codes:
Opaque Glazes: FN-301 Marshmallow White, FN-302 Ivory Cream, FN-303 Deep Blue Sea, FN-304 Black Velvet, FN-305 Milk Chocolate, FN-306 Pumpkin Tart
|Manufacturer:||Coloramics, LLC (D.B.A. Mayco Colors)|
|4077 Weaver Court South|
|Hilliard, Ohio 43026|
|United States of America|
IN CASE OF EMERGENCY PLEASE CONTACT YOUR REGIONAL/LOCAL POISON CONTROL CENTER
SECTION 2: HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
Classification of mixture: Non-classified (1999/45/EEC)
Each glaze family is a mixture of ceramic material containing, water, non-leaded frits, clay, and other minerals and color pigments. Contains potential carcinogens: Crystalline silica (quartz), as an inhalation hazard, may be present if:
- Unfired, dried glaze is excessively handled and allowed to create dust.
- Mist is present after spray application
A few pigments may contain a very small amount of zirconium encapsulated cadmium, titanium dioxide, and other metals. Other ingredients present have no known acute toxicity.
GHS Label Elements: None Required
Other Hazards: None known
SECTION 3: COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Each glaze family contain proprietary mixtures of ceramic materials (listed below) and color pigments. The Foundations® glaze line is classified as non-hazardous.
|Ingredients||CAS #||Ranges of Percentages|
|Water||7732-18-5||48.4% - 51.5%|
|Frit||65997-18-4||32.2% - 34.4%|
|Clay/Kaolin||1332-58-7||3.9% - 4.1%|
|Calcium Carbonate||471-34-1||3.9% - 4.1%|
|Zirconium Silicate||14940-68-2||3.0% - 6.6%|
|Carboxymethylcellulose||9004-34-2||0.6% - 0.7%|
SECTION 4: FIRST-AID MEASURES
- Inhalation: May cause irritation. Remove from exposure.
- Skin: May cause irritation. Wash skin with soap and water.
- Eyes: May cause irritation. Flush eyes with large quantities of water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation persists after washing, contact a physician.
- Ingestion: Contact a physician.
Important Symptoms/Effects: None Known
Immediate Medical Attention/Special Treatment: None Known
SECTION 5: FIRE-FIGHTING MEASURES
- Suitable Extinguishing Media: None
- Specific Hazards Arising From Chemical: None
- Special Protective Equipment and Precautions for Fire Fighters: None
SECTION 6: ACCIDENTAL RELEASE MEASURES
- Personal Precautions, Protective Equipment and/or Emergency Procedures: None
- Environmental Precautions: None
- Methods and Materials for Containment and Clean-Up: Wipe/Mop spill area and rinse with water
SECTION 7: HANDLING AND STORAGE
- Precautions for Safe Handling: Ventilation - local exhaust if spray application is used
- Work/Hygienic Practices: Food, beverages, and smoking materials should not be in the work area. Wash thoroughly before eating, drinking, smoking, or applying cosmetics.
- Conditions for Safe Storage, Including Incompatibilities: None
SECTION 8: EXPOSURE CONTROLS/PERSONAL PROTECTION
|Zinc Oxide||1314-13-2||5 mg/m3||2.0 mg/m3|
|Calcium Carbonate||471-34-1||5 mg/m3||10.0 mg/m3|
Remaining main glaze ingredients do not have formal Exposure Limits. Some pigments contain metals that have exposure limits (Co, TiO2, Cu, Cr, Mn) but are used in low levels.
These glazes are non-hazardous liquid mixtures of ceramic materials containing, water, non-leaded frits, clay, and other minerals and color pigments. These mixtures have no TLV or PEL
- Engineer Control: Adequate ventilation (local exhaust) if spray application is used.
- Respiratory Protection: Use a NIOSH approved respirator if spray application is used.
- Protective Gloves: Not normally needed.
- Eye Protection: Wear appropiate eye protection or safety glasses to keep mist out of eyes if spray application is used.
- Personal Protective Clothing or Equipment: Wear appropriate clean, protective clothing such as, but not limited to, overalls, smocks, and aprons.
SECTION 9: PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
|Appearance:||Colored and/or Clear Liquid Mixtures|
|Upper/Lower Explosive Limits:||None|
|Partition Coefficient (octanol/water):||N/A|
|Solubility in Water:||Partial|
|Auto ignition temperature:||None|
SECTION 10: STABILITY AND REACTIVITY
|Possibility of Hazardous Reactions:||None Known|
|Conditions to Avoid:||Fumes from firing in kiln; Mist created from spray application.|
|Incompatible Material:||None Known|
|Hazardous Decomposition or By-Products:||None Known|
SECTION 11: TOXICOLOGY INFORMATION
Primary Route(s) of Entry: Dermal, Inhalation.
Hazard to Humans: None during normal use. The highest threat of inhalation exists during the excessive handling of dried, unfired glazed ware and/or during spray application.
|Acute Toxicity: N/A||Carcinogenicity: N/A|
|Skin Corrosion.Irritation: N/A||Reproductive Toxicity: N/A|
|Serious Eye Damage/Irritation: N/A||STOT-Single Exposure: N/A|
|Respiratory/Skin Sensitization: N/A||STOT-Repeated Exposure: N/A|
|Germ Cell Mutagenicity: N/A||Aspiration Hazard: N/A|
These mixtures contain silica, a know carcinogen. Inhalation is the route of entry into the body that can lead to the development of Silicosis.
These water-based, premixed products should be non-toxic during recommended use.
Some of the pigments may contain small amounts of various forms of metals (Sn, Mn, TiO2, Cu, Zr, V, Fe. Co, Cr, Ni, Cd ), some of which are considered carcinogenic. The metals in pigments may be in form of frits, spinel or formed from high temperature calcination that may have a different bioavailability than the metal itself. Silica and pigments in the glaze should be non-toxic during recommended use.
SECTION 12: ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION
|Mobility in Soil:||No|
|Other Adverse Effects:||None|
SECTION 13: DISPOSAL CONSIDERATIONS
Follow local, state and federal regulations.
SECTION 14: TRANSPORTATION INFORMATION
Product Identifier: Non-Hazardous Mixtures
UN Shipping Name: N/A
UN Number: None
Environmental Hazard: None
Packing Group: None
Transportation Hazard Class: N/A
Special Precautions: None
SECTION 15: REGULATORY INFORMATION
Federal, State and Local regulations not provided elsewhere in the SDS:
- TSCA: all components of these products are on the US TSCA Inventory
- SARA Section 313 Toxic Chemicals: None
- IARC, OSHA and NTP: Silica (Quartz), Titanium Dioxide, Cobalt, Nickel and Chromium are listed on the carcinogen list.
- Proposition 65: Silica (Quartz), Titanium Dioxide, Cobalt, Nickel and Chromium are listed on the carcinogen list.
Chemical Safety Assessment:
Conforms to ASTM D 4236 This material has been evaluated under the provisions of LHAMA (Labeling of Hazardous Art Material Act). This product is judged to be non-toxic and non- flammable under proposed use conditions. No special warning is required under the provisions of LHAMA or California Proposition 65 during use.
SECTION 16: ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Mayco Glazes do not contain and products and/or ingredients derived from nuts, peanuts, eggs, milk, or gluten. Mayco Glazes do not contain latex.
This information is furnished with out warranty, representation, inducement or license of any kind, except that it is accurate to the best of knowledge of COLORAMICS, LLC or obtained from sources believed to be accurate.
COLORAMICS, LLC does not assume any legal responsibility for use or reliance on same. Customers are encouraged to conduct their own tests before using any product. Read the product label.
Acronyms used in this SDS:
- CAS #: Chemical Abstracts Service Number
- TSCA: Toxic Substances Control Act
- SARA: Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act
- IARC: International Agency for Research on Cancer
- OSHA: Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- NTP: National Toxicology Program
- PEL: Permissible Exposure Limit
- TLV: Threshold Limit Values
|Prepared:||July 17, 2014|
|Supersedes:||November 4, 2010|