- Last Updated: Tuesday, 17 June 2014 13:28
Give the Trick or Treaters a treat with these Whittled Pumpkins.
Clay Magic Molds
- 3253 Lg. Oblong Whittled Pumpkin
- 3254 Lg. Roung Whittled Pumpkin
- 3255 Sm. Whittled Pumpkin
- 3152 Oak and Maple Leaves
- 3153 Acorns
- SC-6 Sunkissed
- SC-27 Sour Apple
- SC-39 Army Surplus
- SC-48 Camel Back
- SC-52 Toad-ily Green
- SC-73 Candy Apple Red
- SC-75 Orange-A-Peel
- S-2101 - Crystal Clear Brushing
- AB-834 ¾" Basecoat
- RB-138 ⅜" Angled Shader
- CB-404 #4 Pointed Round
- CB-406 #6 Pointed Round
- CB-408 #8 Pointed ROund
- CB-110 #10/0 Liner
- BT-910 - Synthetic Sponges
Casting and Cleaning
- Cast the desired pieces from the molds (or have them cast for you).
While the casts are still damp, whittle the seams of the pumpkins, leaves
and acorns with a smooth edged knife or tool to resemble the surrounding
area. Slip attach leaves and acorns to the pumpkins as soon as possible
after removing from the molds as the leaves will be the most flexible for
shaping when slip attaching. Clean up any slip drips with a wet brush.
- Allow to dry and sponge the dry greenware to remove any imperfections.
- Bisque fire to shelf cone 04.
- Begin with properly fired shelf cone 04 bisque. Moisten a clean sponge and wipe bisque to remove any dust.
- All color is a mix of 2 parts color and 1 part water, mixed to a cream
- Using a AB-834 ¾” Basecoat, apply 1 coat of SC-48 Camel Back to the pumpkins. Wipe back with a damp sponge, leaving the SC-48 Camel Back in the crevices.
- Using a AB-834 ¾” Basecoat , apply 2 coats of SC-75 Orange-A-Peel to the pumpkins.
- Using a CB-408 #8 Pointed Round, apply 2 coats of SC-39 Army Surplus to the pumpkin stems.
- Using CB-408 #8 Pointed Round, apply 2 coats of the following colors to the leaves by blending the colors: SC-75 Orange-A-Peel, SC-6 Sunkissed, SC-27 Sour Apple, and SC-73 Candy Apple Red. Example: Sunkissed and Orange-A-Peel, Sour Apple and Sunkissed, Candy Apple Red and Orange. Refer to picture. It is easiest to have 1 brush for each color, to get all the leaves done at once.
- Using a CB-406 #6 Pointed Round, apply 2 coats of SC-48 Camel Back to the acorn nut with a splash of SC-75 Orange-A-Peel. Apply 2 coats of SC-52 Toad-ily Green to the acorn caps with a splash of SC-75 Orange-A-Peel.
- Allow the pieces to dry.
- Apply S-2101 Crystal Clear Brushing. Allow to dry.
- Stilt and fire to shelf cone 05/06.