- Last Updated: Thursday, 29 March 2018 17:51
White Earthenware Clay
EL-101 Oyster Shell
EL-103 Sea Spray
EL-106 Tidal Pool
EL-127 Rose Granite
PC-601 Clear Cascades
CB-604 #4 Soft Fan
Rolling Pin/Slab Roller
Bowl or Plaster Hump mold to slump clay over
CLAY INSTRUCTIONS FOR ONE VASE.
1. Begin with about 3lb of wedged white earthenware clay. Roll to about 1/4" thickness with slab roller or rolling pin.
2. Place MT013 Honeycomb Mat over the slab and press straight down gently with your hand to secure into place. Do not rub hand across stamp as it could cause the mat to move and distort the image. Gently roll over the mat to press into the clay.
3. Use the rim of your bowl or about a 5" circle template and cut out 2 circles from the textured clay.
4. Slump both circles over a bowl or plaster hump mold with the texture facing up to shape clay. Let set up until soft leather hard.
5. In the meantime prepare the other pieces to the vase. Cut out a 1" wide strip of clay, roll some coils, and cut out a 3" wide strip of clay to form the foot.
6. Shape the wider slab into a cone and slip and score to attach.
7. Once the forms have set up, slip and score the edges of both circles and the 1" strip. Attach together securely.
8. Find the center of the form on both the top and bottom. Attach coils around the top circle and the cone to the bottom by slipping and scoring.
9. Cut out the top circle so the form is open.
10. Let dry completely and fire to shelf cone 04.
1. Begin with properly fired shelf cone 04 bisque. Moisten a clean sponge and wipe bisque to remove any dust.
2. Thin some FN-009 Black with a 3 to 1 ratio glaze to water. It should be the consistency of creamer. Roll glaze on the inside of the vase and pour out excess.
3. Using a CB-604 #4 Soft Fan, apply 2 coats of El 101 Oyster Shell for the pink vase and EL-103 Sea Spray for the green vase.
4. Next, apply 2 coats of EL-127 Rose Granite for the pink vase and EL-106 Tidal Pool for the green vase.
5. Using a CB-106 #4 Soft Fan, plop PC-601 Clear Cascades to the top of the vase. For the second coat, plop all 3 colors.
6. Let dry completely.
7. Stilt and fire to shelf cone 06/05.