- Last Updated: Tuesday, 05 May 2015 19:49
- Low Fire Red Clay
- UG-KT1 Underglaze Assortment Kit, S-2101 Crystal Clear Brushing
- BT-910 Synthetic Sponge, CB-200 #0 Detail Liner, CB-404 #4 Pointed Round, CB-604 #4 Soft Fan, PSTS9MC Carving Sculpting Set
- Fork or Tooth-edged Rib, Slip, Canvas
Part 1. Hand-building Instructions:
- Create a pinch pot using a handful of clay. You will be aiming for the shape of whichever animal you are creating. The rabbit you will use a cone shape and for the chipmunk it would be a bowl in the shape of the palm of your hand. For the bear focus on creating more of a salad bowl shape.
- Once the bowl forms stiffen up a bit, use your finger to shape from the inside to create the cheeks and bridges of the noses.
- From the outside use your finger to create eye sockets.
- Use small balls of clay for the eyes.
- If you choose to do eyelids, this is achieved by adding small coils.
- Add coils of clay using the slip and score method for a brow line if wanted.
- Use the PSTS9MC Carving Sculpting Set while creating the eyes to shape them and attach to them form.
- To make the nose attach a small triangle to the end of the bridge.
- Use the PSTS9MC Carving Sculpting Set to add any details in the face such as the muzzles.
- To add ears shape small slabs and attach them to the head using slip and score method.
- Make sure all connection points are sealed and smooth.
- Allow to completely dry before bisque firing to cone 04.
Part 2. Glaze Application:
- Using a damp BT-910 Synthetic Sponge, wipe away any dust that may be on the bisque.
- Using the CB-604 #4 Soft Fan Brush, create a base coat of each of the animals. The bear will have UG-204 Orange, the rabbit has UG-68 Apple Green, and the chipmunk has UG-46 Bright Yellow.
Glaze Application - Bear:
- Use UG-208 Dragon Red over the UG-204 Orange. Once that had dried apply the UG-97 Bright blue using the CB-404 Pointed Round on the muzzle, along the ears, and to highlight the brows and center of the head. Apply UG-50 Jet Black for the eyes and nose. Once that has dried use the CB-200 #0 Detail brush and add highlights to the eyes using UG-51 China White.
Glaze Application - Chipmunk:
- Use UG-204 Orange over the UG-46 Bright Yellow. Focus the UG-204 Orange on the cheeks, ears, and top of the head using the CB-404 #4 Pointed Round brush. Apply a heavy coat of UG-51 China White to the muzzle. Apply UG-50 Jet Black for the eyes and nose. Once that has dried use the CB-200 #0 Detail brush and add highlights to the eyes using UG-51 China White. You will use UG-50 Jet Black and the same brush to create the mouth lines.
Glaze Application - Rabbit:
- Add 2 coats of UG-208 Dragon Red to the inside of the ears. Use the CB-404 #4 Pointed Round brush to add the UG-97 Regal Purple to the top of the head. Layer the UG-97 Bright Blue under the eyes, along the nose, and outside of the ears of the rabbit. You will also use it as a wash over the UG-68 Apple Green for the rest of the head. Apply UG-50 Jet Black for the eyes and nose. Once that has dried, use the CB-200 Detail brush and add highlights to the eyes using UG-51 China White.
- Once the heads are completely dry, apply 2 coats of S-2101 Crystal Brushing Glaze using the CB-604 #4 Soft Fan Brush.
- Stilt and fire to cone 06.