- Last Updated: Thursday, 09 November 2017 16:56
- Low Fire 06/05 Clay (cone 05/06)
- UG-1 Kings Blue
- UG-22 Spring Green
- UG-46 Bright Yellow
- UG-50 Jet Black
- UG-51 China White
- UG-204 Orange
- UG-206 Fire Engine Red
- SG-403 Red
- SG-407 Yellow
- SG-409 Bright Green
- SG-410 Bright Blue
- S-2101 Crystal Clear Brushing
- CB-404 Pointed Round
- CB-604 #4 Soft Fan
- BT-910 Synthetic Sponge
- 1/4" Wooden Slats
- Rolling Pin
- Needle Tool
- Slip or Clay Slurry
- Download: Pattern
Hand building the Flat Cat:
- Using the 1/4" Wooden Slats, roll out a medium sized piece of clay with the rolling pin.
- With the provided pattern, trace and cut out the image using a pin tool. You will need two cat forms.
- Using the 1/4" Wooden Slats, roll out a long, narrow strip of clay with the rolling pin.
- Using the ruler, measure a 1" wide, long strip of clay. This piece will be the sides (width) of Flat Cat.
- Using a score and slip method, attach the 1" narrow strip to the front and back of the flat cat along the outter edge.
- Dampen a BT-910 Synthetic Sponge and smooth the edges of Flat Cat.
- With a small amount of clay, create small balls for the eyes and mouth of the cat. Use the score and slip method to attach features to the face.
- Using the needle tool, create nostrils on the note and make markings for the mouth area.
- Roll out a small slab and cut a small strip for the collar as well as a small circle for the cat's nametag. Use the score and slip method to attach pieces to the cat.
- Using the back of the needle tool, draw in the ears and eye patch.
- Allow the finished Flat Cat to dry slowly, but completely; when it is no longer cold to the touch.
- Fire to cone 04.
Glazing the Flat Cat:
- Begin with properly fired cone 04 bisque. Moisten BT-910 Synthetic Sponge and wipe away any dust.
- Using CB-604 #4 Soft Fan, apply 1 heavy coat of UG-204 Orange to the body of the cat. Leave the eyes, nose, collar, and nametag unglazed.
- Using the CB-404 #4 Pointed Round, apply UG-206 Fire Engine Red to the right side of the body. Blend toward the middle of the piece. Apply 3 coats onto the nose.
- Using the CB-404 #4 Pointed Round, apply UG-46 Bright Yellow to the left side of the body. Blend toward the middle of the piece. Apply 3 coats onto the muzzle of the cat.
- Using CB-404 #4 Pointed Round and UG-22 Spring Green apply 3 coats to the eyes. Once that is dry, apply a pupil using the UG-50 Jet Black. Once that is dry, flip the brush around to dot the UG-51 China White onto the pupils.
- Using CB-404 #4 Pointed Round and UG-1 Kings Blue apply 3 coats to the collar.
- Using CB-404 #4 Pointed Round, apply 3 coats of UG-46 Bright Yellow to the nametag.
- Decorate the body of the cat using SG-410 Bright Blue. You can create a flourish design, as shown, or can decorate using your own design.
- Using SG-403 Red, SG-407 Yellow, SG-409 Bright Green to add dots to the previously designed area, if you wish.
- Using SG-403 Red, write a name for the cat on the name tag. We used the name 'Otis'.
- Once the glaze is completely dry, apply 2 coats of S-2101 Crystal Clear Brushing to the entire cat. Use the CB-604 Soft Fan to apply the glaze. Allow glaze to dry completely between coats.
- Fire to cone 06.