- Last Updated: Thursday, 28 February 2019 20:53
These beautiful glazes transform in the kiln when small pieces of glass burst into color and intricate pattern during the firing process. Use alone for stunning effects, in glaze combination blending with Stroke & Coats®, Foundations® or Cobblestones or simply as an accent to your design. Designed to mature at cone 06/05, the Jungle Gems Crystal Glazes enable artists to achieve complex glazed surfaces with guaranteed results and minimal effort; two to three coats and you’re done! Crystal Glazes can be fired to higher temperatures so we recommend you review individual color labels for cone 6 firing results. During the firing, the crystals spread out to produce a dramatic burst of color to create a truly unique look; no two pieces will ever be alike. With over 60 colors to choose from, it will always be a surprise when you open the kiln.
- Both Jungle Gems have gloss glaze bases filled with pieces of frit that bloom (melt) during the firing process. As the crystals bloom, they produce dramatic, colorful effects.
- May use complimentary Foundations as a base glaze in order to make your crystals go further. When the jar of crystals is empty, add the crystals to another Crystal jar OR to a Foundation glaze.
- Store upside down with the lid on securely to allow easy mixing and even dispersion of crystals
- As crystals tend to flow at higher temperatures, we recommend limiting the number of crystals on the bottom third of vertical piece to avoid glaze running onto kiln shelf.
- Both glazes are non-toxic. However, due to the crystals, there may be surface issues, making it difficult to properly clean. We recommend using the crystal glazes on non-food surface areas. For example the outside of a mug, outside of a bowl, rim of a plate, decorative pieces, etc.