CD-777 Oval Slump/Hump
S-2718 Cosmic Black, SC-15 Tuxedo, SC-16 Cotton Tail, SC-27 Sour Apple, SC-36 Irish Luck, SC-71 Purple-licious
BT-910 Synthetic Sponge, CB-106 #6 Script Liner, CB-110 #10/0 Liner, CB-404 #4 Pointed Round, CB-604 #4 Soft Fan
Pencil, Paper Towels, Palette, Moist Clay, ¼" Wood Slats, Canvas, Rolling Pin, Sand Bag, Fettling Knife, Slip/Clay Slurry, Paper Towels, Pencil, Sponge, 16 Gauge Copper Wire, Epoxy
For grade levels 1-4
Have students familiarize themselves with the facial anatomy of a cat. Assignment can include bringing in a picture of a cat - or their pet cat - and having them create a likeness of the photo.
Students will learn the steps of creating with clay including construction, bisque firing, glazing, and glaze firing
- Understanding and Applying Media, Techniques, and Processes
- Using Knowledge of Structures and Functions
- Choosing and Evaluating a Range of Subject Matter, Symbols, and Ideas
- Roll clay ¼" thick between ¼" wood slats. Slump clay over the CD-777 Oval Hump mold. Press into shape with a sand bag. Trim off excess with a needle tool.
- Use a pencil or needle tool to etch features of a cat's face into the clay.
- Form face features with clay (ears, nose, mouth, etc.) and add to the cat's face. Place holes in the muzzle at an angle for the whiskers.
- Allow to completely dry.
- Bisque fire to shelf cone 04.
- Using a CB-604 #4 Soft Fan, apply 3 coats of S-2718 Cosmic Black to the face. Only use 2 coats on the nose, inside of ears, brows and under the eyes.
- Using a CB-106 #6 Script Liner, apply 3 coats of SC-16 Cotton Tail to the muzzle and the corner of the eyes.
- Using a CB-106 #6 Script Liner, apply 2 coats of SC-71 Purple-licious over the S-2718 Cosmic Black on the nose, brow, under eyes and inside of the ears.
- Paint the iris of the eyes with SC-27 Sour Apple and shade with SC-36 Irish Luck. Use SC-15 Tuxedo for the pupil and the nose. Using a CB-110 #10/0 Liner, outline eyes and muzzle.
- Spatter SC-15 Tuxedo on the muzzle with an old toothbrush.
- Clean any glaze out of the holes in the muzzle before firing.
- Stilt and fire to shelf cone 06.
- Glue in copper wire for the whiskers with an epoxy.