Low-fire Red Clay (Laguna EM-106)
- UG-97 Bright Blue
- UG-206 Fire Engine Red
- UG-50 Jet Black
- UG-46 Bright Yellow
- UG-51 China White
- MT-003 Brick Stamp
- RB-100 Detail Liner Brush
- Sgraffito tool
- Paper, Pencil, Scissors
- Fettling Knife
- Water, Sponge, Straw
- Roll out a ¼” thick slab and cut into a 5”x7” rectangle. Compress both sides with rib.
- Sketch out shape that script will go inside and cut stencil out of cardboard. Sketch script to go inside the shape on paper and set aside.
- Place the cardboard stencil on slab and place texture mat overtop (MT-003 Brick). Firmly press texture mat into clay being careful not to move it around. Pull mat away slowly reviling texture and remove stencil.
- Using a straw, punch a hole for the tile to hang from at the top of the rectangle.
- Thin a small amount of black underglaze with water to create a wash. Paint wash onto textured surface.
- Using a dry sponge remove glaze access glaze from the relief leaving glaze only in the indentations.
- Cut paper with your script sketch to fit inside logo area. Place on clay, trace script with pencil and peel away revealing indentation.
- Using detail liner brush and white underglaze, trace outline of design.
- Using detail liner brush and red underglaze, fill in script littering. Apply a second coat once the first is fully dry.
- Using detail liner brush and blue underglaze, fill in logo shape around the words leaving some room around the edges. Apply a second coat once the first is fully dry.
- While the blue underglaze is still wet, apply yellow underglaze to the edges of your logo, allowing the colors to blend. Apply a second coat to just the edges once first coat is completely dry.
- Using detail liner brush, apply a second coat of white underglaze to the outline.
- Apply black underglaze wash around the outside of logo to create depth.
- Using a sgraffito tool once black wash dry, scrape away access wash to create highlights on the textured surface. Allow to dry completely.
- Bisque fire to cone 04.
- If a clear coat is desired, apply clear glaze and re-fire to cone 06.